Wednesday, December 16, 2020

 

                            


When you hike, you just don’t get to conquer a mountain, you get to conquer yourself with all its weaknesses and fears. There’s just this urge that visits me around when I know I have an upcoming climb. It’s just something that makes me think less and become excited more.

Yes, it could be so much better with my girlfriends in these trips. But I  think that’s just one dream that seems impossible to come true, otherwise, it’ll take about five years.

As we age, plans become more difficult to fulfill, but of course, acting on these plans immediately is what will definitely bring the best results we are eyeing for ourselves. Dreams are planned. They don’t just happen, do they? Dreams demand sacrifices, action, hard work, dedication, and perseverance.

There are so much realizations you have when you get to hike and conquer a mountain. By conquer, I mean, owning what you’re seeing and feeding your soul with more power and happiness.

I started to try hiking when I was twenty. I have had climbed six mountains since then because of my limited days off and scheduling conflicts. My first was in Mt. Pamitinan, Rizal in January 2017. That was the first time I ever appreciated being tired and overwhelmed at the same time. The slopes were treacherous and the height was nerve wrecking which took us two hours to climb. It was rocky and there was traffic above. You get to expect a lot of people during weekends. But as everybody say, it’s all worth it. It was DIY kind of trip. You just have to ride an FX  from Cubao going to Rizal. And ususally, in their covered courts, the registration booths are ready to welcome hikers with the guides waiting for their guests. It was 500.00 every guide. Being early is the key to getting best guides and better view. Less hikers as the highlight if you want to get the best shots.

Second was in Mt. Gulugod Baboy in Batangas. These first two were just minor trails, five or seven out of ten. It was in December 2017. There was a good spot for camping at the top. It rained so it was like sleeping in the mud on our tent. It was indeed very cold in there as there was even a storm that time. There are bus liners in Taft Avenue in Pasay. We rode the Jam Liner bus for an hour and a half, took a jeepney upon reaching Batangas grand terminal, rode another two hours to Mabini, Batangas then registered before hiking. This was another DIY trip and you can climb freely as long as you know the route or if you’re with experienced hikers.

Third was in Mt. Ulap on February 2018. This one is a major. A five hour hike to the top. Unfortunately, the sea of clouds was at the other side of the mountains, still, every view was beautiful. It was a day hike and I am a joiner this time, together with my friend Jie and her boyfriend, Brad. There were three peaks. I can say, watching the sun rise while you’re on top of the mountains is the best. Aside from being priceless, it also wakes up your soul and lets you cling to yourself and even makes you listen to yourself. Number one rule in hiking is to never leave marks and trails. Especially garbages.  You climb to get memories, experience freedom and create inspiration. Because that’s how hiking is supposed to be. Mt. Ulap is located in Itogon Benguet so if you’re a joiner, everything is included from van transfers, guide fee, driver fee, organizers’ fee, food sometimes. So you really don’t have to worry except your climb and trail foods and clothes. It took us about ten hours which includes ascending time, lunch, rest time and descending.

When you hike, you just don’t conquer yourself, if you’re some introvert and you manage to go on this type of activity often, you’ll slightly learn somehow to interact easily, become friends with other hikers and even tour guides and locals. One of the best things about this adventure aside from boosting self love is that, you’ll also get to share your happiness with strangers who are also trying to find their own happiness.

Happiness after all is another version of  success. I cannot define success more than just being happy. We could have all the money, but that does not necessarily define and guarantee happiness within us. If you found what you’re finding, if you’re doing what you love, if you keep that positivity in you, if you get to see the natural creation while standing at a mountain top, then you’re one of the lucky people in the world who has time to define what “real happinness” means.

Pin pointing your passion and what we love to do most is always subjective. Why? Because you only get to decide on your own; Whether it’s who you want, what you want, how do you want it, why you want it, where do you want to do it and when do you want to do it. Familiar? The five W’s and H. These are key questions in again, defining what makes us happy. Your options are always availble to you and it’s just a matter of choosing what works best for you.

Down to my fourth climb. A very hot summer in April 2018. It was in Mt. Bira-Bira (binabalik-balikan) mountain in Zambales.  I joined my friend Jie’s first self organized hike. So most of us knew each other. I brought my sister here. It took us four hours to get to Nagsasa cove. A hike plus beach this time. It was also a day hike. My fifth was in Mt. Nagpatong Rock in Maragondon, Cavite. We were supposed to also visit the falls but it was too late as hikers who can’t make to the top or those first timers who have a not so good cardiovascular system and strong endurance are inevitable.

Then my sixth and my first hike this 2019 was in Mt. Batolusong in Tanay, Rizal. I was with Gelo, my high school batch mate. He invited me to this event, together with some familiar friends from my Mt. Ulap trip, Christian. I got to get close to Lyka, Gelo’s workmate as well. See, there’s a lot of people you can get involved with and are willing to have fun. They are experienced hikers so we did not have any problems wth the slopes, heat, and the major trail. It took us three hours to make it to the top, three peaks, just like Mt. Ulap. Duhat was the first peak,  them Plateau (the ‘patag’ ones), and last, Rangyes Peak which you would need a rope to be able to make it to the top. We started at 5:00 in the morning and finished at 8:30 am. We were then able to make it to the jumpoff at around 11:00 am. One of the fun parts as well is when you get to take a bath and feel the cold water running out of the pipe like a baby trying to get her first bath.

All you really need is arrange schedules, at least prepare your body and go for a cardio workout to help condition your body before the hike if you’re not that active in working out, prepare your budget, don’t eat too much on the way up (just becase you can make up for your tiresome hike after you take a bath and eat whatever you want at the jumpoff LOL), bring what’s only appropriate like water, face towel, cap, jacket, and light snacks for trail foods. Though I still struggle with packing lighlty, I am working on it. In addition, you know what you’re craving for when you’re tired. Me, it’s just pancit canton with egg, a very very cold small bottle of coke, my pictures taken by my hike mates, and my neat clothes on after a fresh bath. LOL.

Don’t ever tell your parents how high you’re climbing, you have to first make it before telling them. You know you’re safe when you follow the rules in a hike, when you don’t separate yourself from the tour guides or fellow hikers, and you’re wearing your ready to kill hike outfit! Those are the things I do. And my fellow hikers just thinks I’m weird and funny at the same time that I always interview the tour guide and joke around.

I just had so much fun hiking that I just had today to make a journal like kind of blog about my experiences. Not too many mountains hiked yet, but many more to climb and get astounded to. It’s not only sunrise and sunsets in the mountains that make it best. Because when you live in the city, you barely get to see stars. So I always am in awe whenever I see galactic creatures, wherever province it is where I am.

Lastly, the question I always hear is that, “Why do these young people spend money to get tired?” Well, it’s just priceless when you get yourself to the top. When you’re not too conscious or you haven’t witnessed yet what kind of nature’s beauty  is out there, you actually haven’t seen anything yet.

Not only you will see green all around you, but you get to see through the view. You get to see your soul in freedom and peace. In good condition and health. Most of all, you get to realize how to properly treat yourself. It is to give whatever it demands to have just because you deserve it.

 

Find joy in climbing! Hope to see you beyond the rocks and mountain tops!

 

Please check my photos ON facebook: Meagan Mangoma and Instagram @chasingmeagan. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment